Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Sometimes the Masses Aren't Wrong . . .

So I've always been the kind of person who has ignored things simply because they are excessively popular. I figured that would change as I grew up but it never really did. I have gotten past it to a degree but it does still happen.

Point being, as much of a bookworm as I have (or haven't compared to some) become in the last few years, I didn't want anything to do with the Twilight series. Like I said, I have a natural aversion to all things grossly-popular and this was no exception.

A couple of months ago the family and I went down to visit some friends and we decided we'd watch the first movie in the series. Upon first viewing, I wasn't overly impressed with the way the story was told, but I did love the atmosphere of the film. I figured it was a movie I'd probably watch again, and quite possibly enjoy more the second time around - that turned out to be the case. Since watching it the second time, my sister gave my wife her copies of the books. My wife read through them QUITE fast in comparison to her usual reading speed, so I figured there must be something to them. I ultimately decided that I would read them as well. . .

Now that I've read through Twilight and am currently about 60 pages into New Moon, I'm thoroughly "geeking out" about the story. Don't get me wrong, I'm not really a lovey-dovey, dreamy type . . . okay so I am . . . but anyway, I'm a Dune freak talking about how a drizzly, overcast day in north Jersey is a "Forks kind of day".

Yeah, that's right, I'm in deep. It might be because the story reminds my high-school-sweetheart-wife and I of our story, or it could just be the neatness of "vegetarian" vampires. Regardless, I'm having fun with it. As for the movie adaptation of New Moon, I think they did a splendid job with the direction and cinematography. However, as I've just started the book, I can't say much for its accuracy. The music for this one seems to be more potent and fitting. Not to say the music wasn't good in the Twilight film, but this one just seems more enthralling.

In closing, I've learned two things of late: the masses aren't always wrong, (maybe just misled) and it's really weird to see the way actors and actresses change over the years, even over a few number of them.

1 comment: