Thursday, December 17, 2009

Romeo x Juliet - The Anime



Romeo and Juliet is one of those stories many people are drawn to. It is rare that a story does not have a happy ending. It is a story of infatuation and power and confusion.

The anime however is one I've followed for a while now. Unfortunately after the fansubs came out as the episodes were released from Japan, they asked the US to stop fansubbing and wait for the release of the anime to the States. For once we listened. Finally I am able to finish watching it. Netflix also has it available in two parts (4 disks). I have completed the first 3 disks as of yet. The great part about this version of Romeo and Juliet is that there is more of a plot line developed. There is more of a learning process about their family. There is also more time they get to spend with each other in comparison to Shakespear's quick wedded bliss of knowing one another a day. I don't know if this has a happy ending or a sad ending as we know it, but it still is very interesting. The art on the other hand is beautiful.

Although I have seen far too many anime over the years (please don't say "animes", as "anime" is plural for itself!), over the past few years I have had a hard time liking newer anime. Perhaps it is because I am one of those who speaks fondly of the anime of old, or I've just grown tired of the same old story. For once I wanted to see more than the first few episodes (lately if I watch a disk, I give up and go on to the next anime in hopes that I can enjoy the entire series). If you are into romantic tales and into classic stories retold, I recommend this anime!

No comments:

Post a Comment